only a half marathon

Thursday, September 14, 2006

How to run a half marathon

I spoke to Karaire, a friend of a friend, whose shorts Ive worn long before I knew him. Sounds bizarre, but absolutely true - Karaire and I have a common friend. 15 years ago, I heard about Karaire a lot, but we had never met. To me he was like a mythical beast - rumoured to exist, but no confirmed sightings. Anyway, once I was stuck at the common's friend's place for the night, he offered me Karaire's shorts to wear as pjs. The very next morning, as if waiting for me to transgress normal social boundaries - what sort of person wears a stranger's shorts to sleep??? - Karaire landed up at his friends house bright and early, surprised himself and me, in his shorts, and proceeded to get acquainted..

Anyway apart from the fact that Karaire has an incredibly sweet wife and a yummy daughter, he runs. He has run plenty of half marathons, he mountain bikes, he rock climbs, he's a really really cool sporty guy.

So I called him up to confess that I had actually registered for the half marathon on Oct 15, and I was terrified. Any advice?

Drink lots of water, wear shoes that still have plenty of good cushioning in them, run 70 kms every week and you'll run the legs off everybody else, he said breezily.

Wow. Let me get this straight. If I run the equivalent of 3 and a half marathons every week, then I will be able to run a half marathon one Sunday, exactly one month from now?

Yes, exactly what Ive said, said Karaire.

I laughed hollowly. That's about the best advice I ever received. I could write an entire series of how to books based just on that one nugget.

How to climb Mount Everest. Climb it three and a half times every week, and climbing it is a breeze.

How to build a rocket launcher from bits of lego, play doh and knitting needles. Build three and half of them every week, and Bob's your Uncle.

Have you gone mad? I asked Karaire. How can you give me such terrible advice? I can barely run 11 kms as my long run and you're talking 70 kms. I'll never be able to finish the race. I wont even be able to start it now. Why did I ever register? Why did I even think I could dream of doing this?I hate this race. ....I began to wail.

Hey, relax. You'll do fine, Karaire said kindly. Remember, its only a half marathon.

Only a half marathon....?

Of course. Now it all makes sense.

2 Comments:

At 4:09 AM, Blogger Alistair D'souza said...

All the best for the half marathon... it will be an experience that you'll remember :-)

I ran the Bangalore full marathon this year. Blogged for 10 days about it :-)
http://how-to-run-a-marathon-in-ten-days.blogspot.com/

It was my first full marathon... ran my first half marathon the previous year in bangalore itself.

Anyways was interested in running the delhi half marathon but didn't register in time....

I work for a GPS (global positioning system) company called SiRF and we are trying to get some setup done where we can track people live on a google maps type website during the marathon run.

Something on these lines…. This example is of a person walking and clicking snaps…. The co-ordinates were updated later… what we want to do is update it live… so that anyone from anywhere in the world can track the locomotion of that person while he/she runs...

http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/gems/gmap2_flash.html

again we are not sure if we will go ahead cause we have just 10 days to get things done...

my email address is alistaird@sirf.com... mail me if you would be interested in being tracked...
we have an office in noida too... our company website... www.sirf.com

again we are not sure if we will go ahead cause we have just 10 days....

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Faithful Soles said...

How did the half marathon go? I'm looking forward to reading your race report. If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home